Robot Vacuum Buying Guide: 10 Features You Need to Know
Not certain which robotic vacuum cleaner is right for you? You are not alone! Today's robot vacuums aren't just automated dust gatherers; they're advanced, feature-packed partners in the fight against dirt. From mopping to AI voice assistance and auto-empty, the choices are vast and varied. But with choice can come confusion. How do you choose the right auto vacuum? Don't worry – we've got your back. We've gathered 10 must-know features about automatic vacuum, ensuring you make an informed decision. Let's dive in!
Why Consider a Robot Vacuum?Wondering why smart vacuums have become such a household favourite? The answer lies in their unparalleled benefits over traditional vacuums. Firstly, they offer unmatched convenience. Imagine having a device that cleans your home while you're out or even sleeping, and no more dragging a heavy machine around or bending over to reach those tricky corners. Robot vacuums are designed to regularly clean the space with no missing spots, without you lifting a finger. Furthermore, they are incredible time-savers. Instead of spending hours vacuuming, you can rely on these smart devices to do the job efficiently, giving you back precious moments to spend on what truly matters.
10 Features You Need to Know Before Buying a Robot Vacuum CleanerWe have sorted out ten special features that you should look for when purchasing a robot vacuum cleaner for your house.
1. Navigation Technology & Obstacle Detection
The first feature to consider is navigation technology, as it determines how smoothly a robotic vacuum cleaner navigates your home. There are three main types of navigation: LiDAR-based, which uses lasers to scan and map rooms, ensuring high precision and efficiency. Next, camera-based systems use built-in optical cameras to form a visual map, but they may have difficulties in dim lighting. On the other hand, sensor-based vacuums employ a “bump and move” approach to detect obstacles, but they can miss hard-to-reach areas and lack the detailed mapping capabilities of the other two. It is also worth mentioning the cliff sensors, which are a standard feature in most models. It protects your automatic vacuum from falling off the stairs and other edges.
Efficient navigation guarantees thorough cleaning and prevents the robot from damaging items like sofas or walls. ECOVACS utilizes advanced AIVI 3D and TrueMapping technologies on their DEEBOT, the same technology to those in self-driving cars, allowing effective obstacle detection and precise mapping even in dark environments.
2. Cleaning ModesSmart vacuums come equipped with various cleaning modes, which you can easily manage through the compatible app. The 'auto' mode is a general cleaning setting for everyday use, while the 'spot' mode targets selected areas with intensified cleaning, such as high-traffic kitchens and living rooms. For those tricky edges and corners, the 'edge' mode is designed to target them, leaving no hard-to-reach spot behind. Selecting the right mode helps achieve optimal cleaning results tailored to different areas of your home. For a hands-free experience, you can preset cleaning sessions to suit your schedule.
3. Smart FeaturesThanks to technological advancements, smart vacuums are becoming even smarter with features such as app control, voice commands, and scheduling. The app serves as a one-stop control centre to monitor and manage your auto vacuum. For instance, the ECOVACS HOME app allows you to start, pause, or schedule tasks for your DEEBOT with just a few taps. Moreover, DEEBOT's YIKO voice assistant, a breakthrough in AI that understands natural voice commands, simplifies the process. This makes it possible for those who might struggle with the app, including the elderly and individuals with disabilities, to use robotic vacuum cleaners effortlessly.
4. Suction PowerThe suction power of a robot vacuum determines its strength and efficiency in cleaning the floor. Measured in Pascals (Pa), the higher the Pa, the more dirt it can collect. Different flooring types require varying suction levels; hard floors and tiles typically need less suction compared to plush carpets. The latest model in the DEEBOT series, the DEEBOT X2 OMNI, boasts a remarkable 8,000Pa suction1. This is significantly higher than the market average of 3,000-5,000Pa, making it adept at tackling even the most stubborn dirt patches.
To enhance the cleaning experience, consider opting for an automatic vacuum with a mop feature, which streamlines the cleaning process by tackling dirt, dust, and fine particlesin one-go. Not only does this save time, but mopping also helps pick up those tiny particles that can trigger allergies.
It's also worth mentioning ECOVACS' Auto-lift Mopping technology. Featured in DEEBOT X2 OMNI and T20 OMNI, the intelligent mop automatically lifts when it detects a carpet, ensuring it remains dry while vacuuming. The mop is lowered when it returns to hard floors, therefore you don’t need to worry about your precious rugs being ruined.
6. Noise LevelThe next feature to consider is the noise level, typically stated in the specifications. A quieter vacuum promotes a peaceful and tranquil living environment, especially essential for homes with thin walls, babies, or pets. Imagine the convenience of scheduling your vacuum to operate at night, so you can always wake up to a clean floor. For the remote workers among us, a less noisy vacuum ensures that work calls go smoothly and concentration remains intact.
7. Self-Emptying CapabilityAnother crucial element to consider when purchasing a robot cleaner is whether it has self-emptying capabilitie. There's nothing wrong with manually emptying your robot. However, for larger houses, the need to empty it multiple times before completing the job might be inconvenient.
One thing to keep in mind when purchasing a smart vacuum is that it cannot be stored just any place. A flat wall with some empty space around it is excellent for a robotic vacuum cleaner's home base, which also functions as its charging station. This allows your robotic vacuum cleaner to return to its docking station when the battery is low, or the dustbin is nearly full.
Some self-emptying robot vacuum, such as our DEEBOT X1 OMNI, can automatically empty the dustbin. Its large 3L disposable dust bag lasts up to 60 days2. After each clean, it even washes and blow dries the mop head, ensuring the auto vacuum is ready for the next session.
8. Battery LifeRobot vacuums can cover vast spaces thanks to their cordless design, and how far they can go depends on their battery life. Typically, most robotic vacuum cleaners can operate for over an hour before needing a recharge. However, those with larger homes should prioritize models with extended battery durations to prevent mid-session recharges. To make the most of your robot vacuum's battery, regularly update its software, clean its brushes and sensors, and avoid overcharging.
9. Filter System
Whether you are sensitive to allergies or not, an efficient filter system is crucial for creating a pristine living environment at home. The gold standard is the HEPA filter, renowned for trapping over 99% of allergens. ECOVACS' DEEBOT doesn't disappoint, using a three-layer filter system that effectively eliminates these particles. But it's not just about having the filter; maintaining it is equally essential. Regular cleaning and upkeep of these filters help enhance the air quality in your home and the longevity of the smart vacuum. And for pet owners, these filters help tackle pet hair and prevent allergy triggers.
10. MaintenanceLooking for ways to keep your automatic vacuum performing at its best? Set a regular maintenance schedule. Empty the dust bin frequently, especially after cleaning high-traffic areas like kitchens. The same goes for filters; clean or replace them if they're dirty. Debris, especially pet hair, can get trapped in brushes and rollers, so check and unclog them often. If your vacuum includes a mop, wash it after each use to prevent odours. Moreover, consider models like DEEBOT, whose smart sensors alert users about needed replacements or clean-ups through the app.
Finding a robot Vacuum That Matches Your NeedsPicking the right auto vacuum shouldn't be overwhelming. By evaluating your needs with the features we've highlighted, you'll have a better idea on what to seek in a robot vacuum. If you're still uncertain, don't hesitate to reach out to our friendly team, we're here to assist you in finding the perfect DEEBOT robot vacuum!
Are robot vacuums worth it 2023?
Absolutely! If you're swamped with work, have allergies, or just lack the time to sweep or vacuum, a robotic vacuum cleaner can lighten the load by automatically cleaning on preset schedules, ensuring clean floors at all time.
What features are important on a robot vacuum?
When shopping for a smart vacuum, consider its battery life, suction power, navigation technology, cleaning modes, filter system, noise level, ease of maintenance, smart features, and mopping capability. It is also important to consider the brand reputation.
- 8,000Pa: This data comes from ECOVACS laboratory. The suction power of DEEBOT X2 OMNI can reach 8,000Pa.
- 60 days: This data comes from ECOVACS laboratory. The large 3L disposable dust bag can be used for up to 60 days. Actual results may vary according to the home environment.