Holiday Party Cleaning Tips
The Holiday season is finally here, and we couldn’t be more excited for the festivities! From sipping hot cocoa by the fire to spending time with friends and family, there’s something for everyone to look forward to. While this season is usually filled with lots of cheer, it’s easy to get lost in the hustle and bustle of holiday planning - especially when you’re the one hosting!
To help make your home look like it came right out of a Hallmark holiday movie, we’ve put together a few hosting tips.
Make a list (and check it twice!)
Whether you’re a holiday hosting pro or a first-time party planner, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount of tasks you need to complete before the big day. To get a head start on organizing your home (and mind!) grab a piece of paper and pen and make a to-do list! Write down everything you need to do, from cleaning the bathroom to sweeping the floor, no task is too small.
Cleaning tips before the party begins
- Declutter: Pick up any shoes, toys, etc. that are lying around the house, especially in areas where you’ll be entertaining guests. Have too much stuff and not enough storage space? Baskets are a great solution - they often look good enough to be left out! No one will even notice all those dog toys...
- Wipe down all surfaces: Get your favorite all-purpose cleaner and start wiping down your countertops, sinks, etc. until they glisten! Once you’re done, light a few scented candles for an extra dose of holiday cheer.
- Clean out your fridge: It’s time to throw out that sandwich that has been sitting in the back of the fridge for a week. You’ll want to make room for all of the delicious leftovers after the party! Pro tip: Make your fridge even more party ready by categorizing. Put all the appetizers in one place, all the cooking materials for you main in another, all the dessert ingredients in one spot, etc. That way, you don’t need to spend precious party time trying to find your salad fixings!
Prepwork for maintaining a clean party
We suggest doing as much prep work ahead of time to save yourself some time on the day of the holiday party. You’ll avoid feeling overwhelmed, and can use the free time to catch anything you might’ve missed, and of course get ready to party!
Cleaning tips during the party
- Clean up as you go: Once your guests are finished eating, put their dishes straight in the dishwasher to avoid a mountain of dirty dishes in the sink.
- Set up visible recycle and waste containers: To save yourself from having to pick up any garbage after the party, make sure to set out trash containers, especially if you are using disposable silverware, plates, etc.
- Keep the party in one place: If you have the space, limit the party to a few rooms, such as the dining room and living area. This way, you don’t have to worry about keeping an entire house clean.
Keeping your floors clean during the party
It may seem impossible to keep your floors clean throughout the night of the party, especially with so many people walking through your home. To keep your floors in pristine condition, have your guests take their shoes off at the front door, or suggest bringing indoor slippers. We also suggest buying a carpet or runner to protect the floor underneath, especially in areas where people will be drinking or eating.
(Pro Tip: To maintain the cleanliness of your floors throughout the night, start up your DEEBOT! Your little helper can mop or vacuum up any spills so you don’t have to.)
We can all agree that a clean and organized home is a must have during the holiday season. See below for a few additional tips for the ultimate holiday hosting experience.
- Invest in a coat rack: Say goodbye to the days of piling everyone’s coat on a random chair. Instead, opt for a coat rack so you can neatly store your guest’s belongings - especially if you’re having a large party. When it’s time to leave, they won’t need to go searching through a large pile of coats to find their own!
- Pick a theme: Do you prefer a white Christmas or the traditional red and green decor? Black tie or ugly sweaters? No matter how you choose to celebrate, pick a theme and stick with it! It will make planning less stressful, and your party will look more put together.
- Have Fun: Don’t forget to enjoy the party! You deserve to relax and have fun with your family and friends, especially after all your hard work. Happy Holidays!