What to look for in a robot vacuum
Want a robot vacuum but don't know where to start? We've put together a guide to help you find the best robot vacuum that suits your needs.
It may be daunting entering the world of robot vacuums for the first time, trust us – we know a thing or two about all the options out there – but with the right set of knowledge in your back pocket, buying a robot vacuum doesn’t have to actually be so hard and overwhelming.
Before we jump into what to look for, it’s important to consider what factors impact getting a great clean:
Robot vacuums can clean multiple floor types - carpets, rugs, tile, hardwood, and laminate. If you have only carpet, then a vacuum-only product would work well. But if you have hard floors or a combination of floor types, then a robot that vacuums and mops in one go is a great option to consider (you’ll be surprised by how much time an all-in-one product can save!) Another thing to consider with hardwood floor and carpet? A robot that can detect and avoid carpets while mopping to provide even greater convenience.
Floorplan and furniture
If you have a complex floorplan – multiple rooms, floors, and lots of furniture – you should look for a smarter robot. What does a smarter robot actually mean? Well robot vacuums can map your home in a couple different ways: Random (“bump-and-run”) robots do not create a map for future cleanings, resulting in less efficient and longer cleaning times (plus a few furniture bruises!). Robots with sophisticated mapping capabilities can create maps of your home and locate itself within that map for future cleanings, making for faster, systematic, and more efficient cleaning. Plus, with a stored map you’ll be able to customize your cleanings to only clean a specific room or area like under the kitchen table after a meal. This is a great option for those that want a more hands-off experience.
Size of space
The larger your space, the more battery run time you need. If your space is especially large or complex, look for a robot that has continuous cleaning, which allows it to return to the charging dock when the battery is low and resume cleaning where it left off after the battery is charged.
Look for a robot vacuum that has an auto-empty station or can be upgradeable to one – this gives you a great way to store dirt and grime without having to constantly empty out your robot friend.
Pets and shedding hair.
We love our furry friends. But with pets in the home, their hair will inevitably get tangled in a robot’s brushes. Look for a silicone, tangle-free brush and a large dustbin to effectively tackle pet hair and dander with less maintenance.
Once you’ve considered your various cleaning needs and settled on the type of robot that will make your life a little more hassle-free, then you can think about what type of features to look for. Still stumped? These four features can help you make the final decision:
- Top-notch Technology – No one wants to have to clean or prep their home (e.g. remove small objects, obstacles, arrange cables, etc.) before their robot does the actual cleaning, that’s what the robot is for! To ensure your robot guarantees a seamless clean, look for a model that has object recognition. With object recognition, your robot can detect carpet and avoid collisions with your stairs, walls, and furniture. Some advanced object features can also detect cables, shoes, and areas where the robot can get stuck (no one wants to babysit their robot and ensure it doesn’t get jammed!). Other sophisticated features like self-emptying capabilities and go-no-go zones are great options that put together, offer a more premium experience for users who really value an effortless clean.
- Thoroughness – When you robot vacuum finishes, you don’t want to have to manually vacuum the spots it missed. Make sure your unit has high performing capabilities and is able to go under furniture and hard-to reach areas. You also want to make sure that it has convertible mopping to guarantee a spotless floor with no dust or stains. A model that can hold over 200ml water and cover over 1,000 sq. ft. is a good place to start. And while you’re at it, make sure you can schedule your robot to run on a consistent schedule to guarantee a lasting clean.
- All-in-one – We know you might be weary of having yet another cleaning tool in your house, but that’s why vacuum-and-mop in go robots are a perfect solution. Consolidation is vital. With one robot that does it all, not only do you save time, but also money! So now you can focus on the things that really matter like spending time with family, relaxing, and watching all that Netflix has to offer.
- Value – A high-end robot with all the technology bells and whistles may not make sense for everyone. Before purchasing, settle on a budget that brings you value and guarantees the unit will get the job done. The biggest benefit of robot vacuums is that they free you up so you can spend doing what you love like spending time with the kids, heading outdoors, or even, taking a nap. There are different solutions out there for different needs – determine what’s important to you and find a robot that matches that.
- Automation – Alexa, turn on DEEBOT T8. You read that right, certain robots are compatible with Smart Home Devices, making a spotless home just one shout away! And for those who don’t want to return to a dusty home after work or a vacation, robots with full-automation app control are a great solution to ditch the stress and run cleaning from your phone – even when you’re away. Not only can you schedule cleaning anytime with app control, you can also customize cleaning and set virtual boundaries.
Follow all of our tips and we promise you’ll find the best robot vacuum that suits your needs.
While we may not all be cleaning enthusiasts like Monica Geller (or even Mr. Clean himself!), we all have the choice to make one of the most valuable purchases for our home and restore our peace of mind. No matter which robot vacuum you choose, we guarantee you won’t regret it.